Sunday, April 10, 2011

Written By Beebe

Today was our last day in Israel, a day filled with feelings no one can describe. We are all sad, yet fulfilled. This trip couldn’t have gone any better, except maybe an extended stay. We spent our last day at the beach. It was a beautiful day. We found a cabana right by the water, got some chairs, and relaxed in the sun overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Only a couple of us went into the water, including myself. It wasn’t necessarily warm, but it was much nicer than the ocean water in the bay area. Then max, nick, ben, and I decided to take a walk down the beach. There were many people on the beach. Some were playing racket ball, some swimming, and the rest were all sitting in chairs along the beach. Unfortunately we didn’t know what time we were supposed to get back to our spot on the beach, so we were late to programming. When we got back our group had already started digging the hole on the beach for the memorial we were going to have for Kyle. So we helped them finish digging, and then sat in a circle under the cabana and shared what we learned from the trip and what we brought to put into the memorial hole. I don’t think I’ve ever shared such a beautiful moment with people in my life. I was facing the ocean, feeling the wind in my hair, tears rolling down my face, looking upon an amazing, strong group of people, all in Israel to experience a trip for Kyle. After that we gathered around the hole and went around and threw in our object, and then as a group covered it with sand.
            I am at a loss of words to describe the trip. Every day was filled with unforgettable experiences. I couldn't have picked a better group of people to be on a trip together. I am extremely sad to be leaving, but happy to have had such a great opportunity.

The lovely Blogger (Note nice bracelet!)

Max and Beebe in Tel Aviv

Ben adjusting his compass

Leib and Hasmig signing baseballs for Kyle

Farewell Israel and Palestine

Last view of Tel Aviv

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to Kyle --the whole trip, certainly, but ending it with this lovely ritual to memorialize him and leave a little of him and you behind. I can absolutely envision it. I know Kyle would have loved this trip and would have loved being with his good friends taking in the sights, understanding a more complex reality to that land and its many peoples. I have been touched by you all. I so wish Kyle could have been there fully with you.

    ReplyDelete